Please read through the following information in order to make your ammunition purchase as simple and easy as possible.
The ammunition portion of Prop-63, which went into full effect on July 19th, 2019, placed background check requirements on the purchase of ammunition. Fortunately, most of our customers should qualify for the “instant check” option (those that don’t will be required to undergo a more in-depth back-ground check that may take up to 10-days). While this certainly adds to the friction involved in buying ammunition, you’ll find that with a little homework and preparation on your part, the process will be relatively seamless and hassle free.
Please read below for further details on the ammunition eligibility check protocols.
Availability and Scheduling: Ammunition inventory is still very fluid and deliveries are unreliable at best. If you’re looking for hard to find ammunition, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a current inventory check on the ammunition that you’re inquiring about. In cases where we’re limited in available stock, we may be able to hold that inventory for you with a deposit over the phone (this is on a case by case basis).
Ammunition purchases are on a first come, first serve subject to staff availability. Please keep in mind that while we are not currently requiring an appointment for the purchase of ammunition, we are heavily backlogged with appointments for firearm(s) purchases. The “best” times of the day are typically right after opening (9:30am) or during the 5pm hour. If the ammunition that you’re inquiring bout
Bear in mind that due to COVID-19 precautions, we do have a maximum capacity at the store, so there may be a short wait. In the event we are over capacity we will generally take your name and number and notify you when there is room, so there will be no need for you to wait in lines under the hot sun!
Purchasing ammunition: You must have all your required documentation in order prior to arriving at the store. If you have not purchased ammunition since the inception of the Prop-63 requirements, please read the following information completely in order to make sure that you’ll be able to successfully complete your ammunition purchase. Understand that we do not have any discretion in the matter, if you do not have the correct documents, you will not be able to purchase ammunition.
- Identification requirement: You MUST HAVE a Valid CA ID or Driver’s license. If you have a newer “real ID”, all you need is your ID. If you have an older ID that carries the “Federal Limits Apply” admonishment, you must bring your Passport, Birth-Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, Permanent Residency or other acceptable “proof of lawful presence”. Sorry, but there is no exception to this requirement. (please read below for further details on the POLP requirement)
- Instant background check (Standard Eligibility Check): If you have purchased a Firearm (in CA) recently you should have a record in the CA Automated Firearms System (AFS). Your AFS history should allow for an instant approval on your ammunition eligibility check as long as the following remains applicable:
- You have purchased a Long-Gun since 2014
- You have purchased a Handgun since 2000
- Your personal information has not changed (address, or full name) since your last firearm purchase (if it has, please read the section below on updating your information in CFARS)
The fee for the Standard Eligibility Check is $1.00
- 10-day background check (Basic Eligibility Check): If you have not purchased a Firearm (in CA) recently or ever, you will more than likely need to undergo a more exhaustive background check which may take up to 10-days to complete. The fee for the Basic Eligibility Check is $19.00
Proof of Lawful Presence (POLP): If your driver’s license or identification card has “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, you shall also submit proof of lawful presence in the United States, in the form of one of the following documents:
(1) Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card. (NOT SENTRI or Global Entry)
(2) Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office). “Abbreviated” or “Abstract” certificates are NOT accepted.
(3) Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240), issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(4) Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form.
(5) Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory.
(6) Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship.
(7) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card. (Cal. Code Regs., tit. 11, § 4045.1)
If your name, as it appears on the “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” driver’s license or identification card, differs from the name on the document(s) above, you shall also submit one of the following certified documents:
(1) An adoption document that contains your legal name as a result of the adoption.
(2) A name change document that contains your legal name both before and AFTER, as a result of, the name change.
(3) A marriage certificate.
(4) A dissolution of marriage document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action.
(5) A certificate, declaration or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
(6) A dissolution of domestic partnership document that contains your legal name as a result of the court action. (Cal. Code Regs., tit. 11, § 4045.1)
Updating your Automated Firearms System (AFS) personal information profile: If the personal information (address or full legal name) in your AFS profile has changed since your last purchase, or in any way differs from your AFS record, your Instant Background check will not be approved. You will need to update your personal AFS personal information by visiting the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) website
Updating your AFS profile before trying to purchase ammunition will help insure that this purchase, and future purposes, will go smoothly.
As always, please feel free to reach-out to us with any questions that you may have.
© copyright 2021, Martin B. Retting, Inc.